Saturday, April 19, 2008

Latest Read

It's been awhile since I've posted any of the books I've been reading. Why? Merely because I've been too swamped to do much consistently.

Anyway, I'm about 3/4 of the way through this book "A New Earth" and have enjoyed every bit of it. It's certainly one of those books you don't read through in one night, as there's a great deal of content in it that requires one to really think.

To sum up this book in a real small nutshell it's regarding our egos, and how for the most part we live unconsciously aware of what and how our egos are causing us to respond to our daily lives. For until we bring our thoughts to a conscious level our egos remain in control. However, when brought to full conscious awareness of our thoughts, actions and reactions to any and all situations our responses a dramatically different.

Here's one little example of what was written in this book that I found interesting.

CARRYING THE PAST
The inability or rather unwillingness of the human mind to let go of the past is beautifully illustrated in the story of two Zen monks, Tanzan and Ekido, who were walking along a country road that had become extremely muddy after heaving rains. Near a village, they came upon a young woman who was trying to cross the road, but the mud was so deep it would have ruined the silk kimono she was wearing. Tanzan at once picked her up and carried her to the other side.

The monks walked on in silence. Five hours later, as they were approaching the lodging temple, Ekido couldn't restrain himself any longer. "Why did you carry that girl across the road?" he asked. "We monks are not supposed to do things like that."

"I put the girl down hours ago," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"

Now imagine what life would be like for someone who lived like Ekido all the time, unable or unwilling to let go internally of situations, accumulating more and more "stuff" inside, and you get a sense of what life is like for the majority of people on our planet. What a heavy burden of past they carry around with them in their minds.

Again, this is merely an except for the book; however, it seemed rather applicable with regards to the recently much debated post by our dear fellow blogger, Khalid.

Very passionate comments have been filtering through this post which was initially done on April 13, 2008 and 6 days later continue to be going strong. I'm just as guilty because I continue to follow this particular post daily to see what's been commented on next. However, I wonder how much of the past memories or wounds or ways of thinking are going to continue dominating this post? Of course we all have past stories, memories, etc., however, how long do we continue to hold ourselves captive by these thoughts and memories? When do we free ourselves from them and recognize them as such, thoughts and memories? How do we ever more forward in our own existence and acknowledge that the only time we have is right NOW? We cannot change the past---and more importantly why would we want to? It is what it is--the past. Moreover, if remain stuck in the past how is it ever possible to think our future can be any different than our past when we've never released ourselves from the past imprisonment? Furthermore, is there really a future? None of us know that answer, so it would seem silly to tell ourselves things like, "when I obtain "this" then I'll be happy". Our happiness can only be created from this very moment of existence, so why rob ourselves of that splendid gift that God is trying to give us. Is it not true, the moment we feel most connected to God is in the present moment? We cannot go back to yesterday for that moment and we can't hope that tomorrow we'll feel close to God---it's only right NOW.

So, pondering, how long will we continue to debate, discuss, and perhaps offend our fellow humans for the sake of making our points which seems to be based on the past?
Perhaps by mere nurturing nature I feel like collecting everyone up, embracing us in silence and for us to just breath in unison, so we can be right here, right NOW. (I know ---- over the top, right?)

14 comments:

Anglo-Libyan said...

thank you dear ibeebarbie

reading your post has put away some of the stress. I may have offended some by mistake to which I apologised, still myself and my family were at the receiving end yet reading your post has made me realise that all is well with humanity :o)
wishing you a great weekend with your family.

btw the book sound intersting

ibeebarbie said...

Salam Anglo-Libyan,

Glad to hear some stress has been let go, alhamdullilah. Just food for thought----would it be reasonable to say that your family can only be on the receiving end if they accept to receive such comments as truth?

This book has shared many interesting ideas. An example would be that we cannot be offended by anyone unless we allow the words they are expressing to be accept as truth within us. Otherwise they are merely words and thoughts of another----we are not obligated to accept them as real or true unless we choose to do so.

You are right----the book is pretty interesting. Like anything, we have to take what we feel is applicable and true to what we believe and leave the remainder as is.

Blessings to you and your family.

Anglo-Libyan said...

"would it be reasonable to say that your family can only be on the receiving end if they accept to receive such comments as truth?"

"An example would be that we cannot be offended by anyone unless we allow the words they are expressing to be accept as truth within us. "

perfectly put ya ibeebarbie, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I will always keep this in mind. hugs to dear Amira.

ibeebarbie said...

Salam Anglo-Libyan,
May you have a blessed day. With pleasure I will give Amira hugs. :-)

Benghazi Citizen said...

,( how long do we continue to hold ourselves captive by these thoughts and memories? When do we free ourselves from them and recognize them as such, thoughts and memories?)
Beutifully expressed..
I like what you wrote...
I must admit,,there are so many things in the past keeps haunting us ,me..
Things i keep telling myself if i just were less hard headed ,if i just took the other way..If i just let go..
The (famous) khalid post revealed a lot of pain in us..I believe it touches things we didn't know they are still there..
Ibeebarbie...GREAT POST..
And the book seems very interesting
Thank you for sharing such beutiful thoughts with us...I mean it
Regards

ibeebarbie said...

Salam Benghazi Citizen,

I would agree with you 100% on the recent revealing of lingering pain. Because it seemed to flow rather naturally in the unveiling of the pain which would lead one to believe that it was not conscious pain but rather unconscious pain that has spewed forth. Sad? Yes. Painful? Yes. But perhaps exactly what needed to be done to reveal its ugly head. Maybe now some real healing can be done? I have no doubt it can be done, however, that depends on the participants and whether or not they want to continue to hold onto such stuff.

I agree with your comment "I must admit,,there are so many things in the past keeps haunting us ,me.." Who could hold us captive longer than we hold ourselves captive?

It was wonderful to see you stop by, and know I greatly appreciate it as I understand you’ve been quite busy.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

perfect timing ibee.
I totally agree with u, in the post and in the comment section of ur post.

yes khalid poast was painful, but it arose that kind of pain which we have to go through to purify ourselves.
sometimes it is hard to look at the ugly part in us, but it is better than hiding it , we have to look at it, recognize it's boundaries, and cut it off, and throw it away, to continue our path, healthier, cleaner, and stronger.

I sum up my voice to urs,that some real healing can be done.

I will look for this book.

thank you :)

ibeebarbie said...

Salam Enlightened Spirit,
I hope the same as you, inshallah. It's my understanding that you may even find this book online which you can download and print for free. Unfortunately in the U.S. it's not available as such, but regardless it was worth the money I spent for it.

Unknown said...

Hi

Thank you for the compliments :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjnfoFg7i7g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u6k-99qcCE&feature=related

I have seen the trailer in movie theatre and I will be taking my kids to see it. They are movie freaks like their dad. Watching the video clip I remembered what I read at 4:00 AM on your blog.

I will comment more as I am on my break. Again thank you for the comments.

Unknown said...

"I put the girl down hours ago," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"


I think everybody does carry a load, but it differs from one person to another. We carry our dreams, our desires, memories, guilt, revenge, love and etc.......

The tolerance and love of man kind, then your load will be far less and a happier person.

"So, pondering, how long will we continue to debate, discuss, and perhaps offend our fellow humans for the sake of making our points which seems to be based on the past?"

I do not think it is right to insult a person to make a point even if the other person is provocative. Why would I burden myself with bad thoughts of a person, I have other important issues to worry about.

Sarah Chang Vivaldi Four Seasons Summer

youtube.com/watch?v=wueymwVrs70

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Ibeebarbie.

Well done!

Khaleds post brought a lot of heartache to many.....

take care

ibeebarbie said...

Salam MusicLover,

I love this comment "The tolerance and love of man kind, then your load will be far less and a happier person." Very well stated.

Greetings Anonymous,
Thank you for stopping by and for expressing your heartfelt thoughts.

Unknown said...

Follow up:


Young@Heart
movies.nytimes.com/2008/04/09/movies/
09youn.html?ref=arts

The documentary film was excellent better than I expected. Kids over age 8 will appreciate it as senior citizens will do.

A New 'Arabian Nights'
A Novel of Life in the Middle East
Relies On the Art of Storytelling


http://online.wsj.com/article/
SB120916642423246209.html?
mod=todays_us_nonsub_weekendjournal

Bebel Gilberto - Aganju

youtube.com/watch?v=J71FLwVNps8&
feature=related


Sorry you not have your email address on your blog, or else I would have email it to you.
This is my email ayamai@hotmail.com

Have a good week end